Saturday, April 4, 2009

Turning Away (or more appropriately, the offensive gospel)

I wonder what people thought when Jesus said repent? I mean, if he's really talking about a life different from our own, what did they think? I've been told that the Jews were waiting for Messiah, the one who would lead the rebellion and crush Rome, regaining all the former glory of their Kingdom and way of life. The expected that he would begin by rebuilding the temple to its former glory. That sounds amazing...I can almost imagine the end of their exile and the rejoicing that would come when all those things happened, God and His servant stepping in to Judge all the oppressing nations and hold his people up...
I don't know about you, but that's not what my Jesus did...instead, he said he was greater than the Temple (put murderous thoughts of the priests here). He told all the rebellion leaders to "Repent" turn from their rebellion and choose God's way (there goes the zealous people) And that the biggest places in the Kingdom that God had in mind look like losers; meek, poor in Spirit, servants/slaves (top it all off with some hacked-off Pharisees)
There are times when I wonder why people get mad when I have an opinion that is contrary to theirs, but I really wonder if there's a way to say "Repent" in a non-offensive way. Not that we should try and offend people, but no one likes to be disagreed with, it makes us mad, because you're saying we're wrong. But I guess it's funny how Christians are the most easily offended sometimes too...we've got a lot of work to do...I don't think that we can turn this ship around on our own...

No comments:

Post a Comment